• Login with Facebook Login with Twitter Login with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Welcome to Safe Haven
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Choosing movies to watch (home, not theater)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Choosing movies to watch (home, not theater): post #1 Anhedonia

Anhedonia

suicidal imbecile

• Donating Member
  • 18192 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 09:48 PM

How do you guys pick movies when you're like "ok, time to pop in a DVD, I think"?

I have all of mine* in one of those big wallet things, and man. I'll page through and page through and it's nonstop "Nope, I've seen that too much" or "Nope, don't feel like depressing myself before bed" or "Nope, not in the mood for a comedy" and "Nope, I want something I've seen before, so I can knit and not have to pay a LOT of attention"... etc etc.

It sounds so stupid. Just PICK one! But I was wondering if anyone else had trouble, and well, what they do to get over themselves already?

I have a list somewhere of my movies. I've actually numbered them (was counting them) and have thought of using a random number generator. :shame:

*Most. I keep serial movies in their boxes in the same area as TV shows. Like Pixar movies or the Harry Potter ones.

#2 Choosing movies to watch (home, not theater): post #2 starboard bride

starboard bride

Unicorn

• Donating Member
  • 3667 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 11:34 PM

"Nope, I want something I've seen before"

This could be put on my fucking tombstone, I say it so much. 

Bruce and I have a shit ton of movies...like, a giant ikea wall shelf filled with them. I always, always, always have problems settling on something. What we usually do is one person picks out around five movies that they would be okay watching and the other person picks from that group.

:D

#3 Choosing movies to watch (home, not theater): post #3 a m y

a m y

the bright end of nowhere

• Alumni
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26383 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:36 AM

Steve and I tend to discuss movies we'd like to watch and keep a list of them on our phones so if we're sitting around, deciding what to watch it's really easy. We just look at our little list.

#4 Choosing movies to watch (home, not theater): post #4 redbird

redbird

Centaur

• Members - A
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2419 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:21 AM

This could be put on my fucking tombstone, I say it so much.

Bruce and I have a shit ton of movies...like, a giant ikea wall shelf filled with them. I always, always, always have problems settling on something. What we usually do is one person picks out around five movies that they would be okay watching and the other person picks from that group.

:D

That is how we tend to do it when picking one from the movies we have at home. A lot of times we borrow from his dad and that makes it easier because it is a newer movie we've both been wanting to see.

If it's just me picking one on my day off I tend to take forever to pick.

#5 Choosing movies to watch (home, not theater): post #5 NeverUnderstood

NeverUnderstood

Nix

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:35 PM

I dont like anything ive already seen before

#6 Choosing movies to watch (home, not theater): post #6 Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle

Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle

Phoenix

• Members - A
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7875 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:18 AM

If it's me and Peter trying to find a movie to watch, we will have a list of around 5 movies and then we take turns saying no to one until we are left with just 1. We actually do that for pretty much everything. We are both very anti-decision making.

Just me, I usually go with something I don't have to pay attention to? Same with shows. I like stuff that I can follow and not be looking at it 100% of the time because I am usually cleaning while it's on or crocheting something.

#7 Choosing movies to watch (home, not theater): post #7 Eevee

Eevee

Centaur

• Members - A
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2143 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 04:06 AM

I'm exactly like that. I have lots of them in a wallet thing, and I end up just picking one of the four or five films that I know off by heart so that I don't have to make another decision. Luckily (in a way) my OH is 'good' with films so if I say "I want something cute, not animated, easy watching not emotional" he can usually pull something out that does the job. When I have to pick by myself though I often just don't bother.

I've been thinking about making a list, though. I watch more TV/go on the internet more than he does, so I'm always seeing adverts or trailers and thinking "hey that looks like I'd like that" and then I forget later. I reckon if I write things down then that'd at least be a starting point.

#8 Choosing movies to watch (home, not theater): post #8 Anhedonia

Anhedonia

suicidal imbecile

• Donating Member
  • 18192 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 06:46 AM

I actually went through and updated my list of current movies. I'm gonna reprint it, with numbers. It sounds so silly, but there's something about the idea of random number generation choosing for me that is just appealing as hell.

Like I rarely put in a movie and go "uggghh, this sucks, why did I do this". If I don't like it I'll pull it back out. But from the way I drag my heels choosing, you'd think it happened every time! :P

Edited by Anhedonia, 03 April 2014 - 06:46 AM.

#9 Choosing movies to watch (home, not theater): post #9 The Reverent Intellectual

The Reverent Intellectual

Always this snappy

• Donating Member
  • 13513 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:06 AM

Well, I almost never watch dvd's. I'm usually watching Netflix. But actually that makes my decision process worse because there are so many options... if I'm lucky, there are movies from my queue that are expiring off of instant in the next week or so. Then I watch those and that takes the decision away mostly. If there's more than one, I just watch them in whatever order they happen to be on there.

If there's nothing expiring... it's definitely harder. It's been like that this week. Basically it just means I sit there and scroll through my queue and look for whatever strikes an interest. My moods are weird about that sort of thing. Usually by the time I hit the bottom like 4 or 5 things have appealed to me and then I just sort of randomly pick one.

Of course if other people are around it's more complicated... although with other people I'm more likely to rewatch something because I want them to see it or whatever.

B

#10 Choosing movies to watch (home, not theater): post #10 Lisa

Lisa

taedium vitae

• Donating Member
  • 11474 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 01:25 PM

It depends how long I think I can concentrate usually. Or how long until I intend to stay awake. If it's a short time, like 30 - 60 mins, I'll probably watch an episode of something rather than a movie. Or I'll watch something that's okay to pause and come back to. Some films aren't like that I think!

But if I want an actual full length movie to watch with no one else's interests to consider, I might think about what mood I'm in - do I need a weepy, or a mindless teen flick, or an intense thriller, documentary etc? Yeah, I'd usually say I base the choice on genre/theme and narrow it down from there. Sometimes I pick an actor/director. Or I check my Netflix and see what I have saved for later. Or simply look in my file thingy of DVDs and I might find one I forgot I had and think, ooh, I haven't seen that one in ages!

I really don't find it that hard to pick, I guess. :dontknow:
I tend not to sweat the smaller decisions in life like those.

#11 Choosing movies to watch (home, not theater): post #11 Fremma

Fremma

Unicorn

• Members - A
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4349 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:01 PM

We did start watching our DVDs through alphabetically, but that was about 3 years ago now, and we've only got as far as E.... mostly we keep hitting ones I don't want to watch - as it's a shared collection of Ian's films and mine, there are a bunch that aren't exactly my taste....

Other than that we sometimes decide based on the length of time we have, and the length of the movie. The late we start, the shorter the movie we watch!

#12 Choosing movies to watch (home, not theater): post #12 MiaDeveraux

MiaDeveraux

Nix

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:06 PM

I put in whatever one I see first and try not to think about what other movies are hidden around the house.

#13 Choosing movies to watch (home, not theater): post #13 flor de kangeroo

flor de kangeroo

Phoenix

• Donating Member
  • 9804 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:45 AM

i get into comfort viewing at home like stuff i know like this   Fight Club  oh watched the essential "sponge bob" last night........when i go out i want to see something different and challenging..

3130619-spongebob-spongebob-squarepants-

Edited by flor de kangeroo, 18 April 2014 - 04:49 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users